High Protein Nut Bars (Tasty Thursday)
Serves: 8 - 10
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 cup quinoa flakes or 1 1/2 cup steel cut oats (finely ground)
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans (finely ground)
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans (chopped)
- 1/4 cup toasted macadamia nuts (finely ground)
- 1/4 cup toasted macadamia nuts (chopped)
- 1/4 sesame seeds
- 1/3 cup dried apricots (1/2-inch pieces)
- 1/3 cup dried blueberries
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1/2 teaspoon Aztec Sea Salt*
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons brown-rice syrup or honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a saucepan, cover dates with cold water, and bring to a simmer. Drain and puree in a food processor until smooth.
- Coat an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking oil. Mix quinoa or oats, nuts, apricots, blueberries, flaxseed, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Fold in date puree and brown-rice syrup or honey.
- Press mixture into pan until uniformly flattened.
- Bake until the center is firm and edges are golden, about 25 minutes.
- Let cool then cut into bars.
Serving size: 1 Calories: 274 Fat: 15.5 Carbohydrates: 35 Protein: 5