*Photo by Taste at Home
Homemade Candy Canes (Tasty Thursday)
- 1.5 cups coconut sugar (dark colors) or honey (light colors)
- 1/4 cup brown rice syrup
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- A couple drops of natural food coloring (I used red & Green)
- Preheat oven to 200F
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper
- Combine sugar or honey, rice syrup and water to a saucepan and stir until sugar is dissolved. Continue to stir over heat until you reach about 285 degrees.
- Remove candy cane from heat and stir in peppermint extract & coloring. I separated them into 2 and added red to one and green to the other.
- Pour half (green) onto one of the prepared baking sheets and place into the oven to stay warm to work with later.
- Pour the other half (red) onto a flat top such as a cutting board and let cool, spread with a well oiled spatula. Let cool until you see a light film appear, like a skin.
- Once mixture has cooled enough to touch (but still warm), begin 'pulling' the mixture with well oiled hands. You have to fold and twist for a while to get a nice opaque look and form into rope-like sticks.
- Place the pieces onto the second prepared baking sheet and place into the oven. Turn oven off and pull the other sheet out.
- Do the same thing with the second batch that you just pulled from the oven. Pull and create rope like stick shapes just like the first batch.
- At this point you have 2 sheets each 2 different colored sticks. To create a candy cane, combine one green and one red stick together, twist and bend into desired shape.
- The candy hardens at room temperature so if you need to place it in the oven to soften that is ok.
- Once you are finished and they are hardened, bag them or keep them wrapped until eaten.
**Use crushed candy cane for Candy Cane Marshmallows. Here is the link to the recipe: https://flaviliciousfitness.com/2014/12/11/easy-marshmallow-recipe/