What you need
1 1/2 cups dried kidney beans
3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 medium yellow onions
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
1 small chili pepper (optional)
1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) whole roma (plum) tomatoes
4 cups water
1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
1/3 teaspoon sea salt
Pepper to taste
1. In a large bowl, cover beans by 3 inches with cold water, cover and set aside at room temperature for 8 hours or overnight.
2. Drain soaked beans and transfer to a large pot. Cover by 2 inches with cold water and bring to a boil (skim off and discard any foam on the surface). Reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender, approximately 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Drain beans and set aside.
1. Cook onions in large saucepan on medium heat until tender, approximately 10 minutes. Add in green pepper and garlic, cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add chili powder and cook 1 minute, stirring.
2. Add in tomatoes, water, oregano leaves and salt and bring to boil.
3. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
4. Add cooked beans and simmer 20-30 minutes longer to blend flavors.
(makes 8 servings)
Total fat 1g, saturated fat 0g
Dietary fiber 12g