Homemade Healthy Marshmallows (Tasty Thursday)
Author: Flavia Del Monte
- 4 tablespoons of gelatin powder (look for grass fed)
- 1 cup of warm water
- 1 Tablespoon of Marshmallow root
- 1 cup of organic honey
- 1 tsp peppermint extract (can use another flavour if preferred)
- 4 capsules of BioTrust probiotics
- Arrowroot for dusting
- Combine warm water with marshmallow root and stir. Let sit for up to 8 hours. 5 minutes if you do not want to wait. Strain to use liquid.
- Split the marshmallow root water into two. ½ cup each.
- Add gelatin in ½ cup of marshmallow water and stir to combine well. Set aside to harden.
- Add second half of marshmallow water (1/2 cup) with honey to a sauce pan over medium-high heat and stir until honey is dissolved. Bring to a boil (about 6 minutes).
- Remove saucepan from heat and slowly pour over hardened gelatin.
- Use a mixer and mix on high until you get a creamy consistency. Should be thick. Mixing should take about 10- 13 minutes.
- Open probiotic capsules and add powder along with the extract to the mix and blend for 2 more minutes.
- Line a baking dish with parchment paper and sprinkle arrowroot powder to prevent farther sticking
- Use a rubber spatula dusted with arrowroot power and pour mixture into a lined or well oiled baking dish, smooth out evenly.
- Let sit overnight (5 hour min).
- Remove from dish and use a knife coated with arrowroot powder to cut into shapes.
- Optional: Dip in melted dark chocolate and then in crushed candy canes and serve on a stick or add to hot chocolate.
My top 3 favorite hot beverage recipes: