Red & White Layered Cake
Author: Flavia Del Monte
- 1¼ cups sliced strawberries
- 10 oz almond or coconut flour (about 2¼ cups)
- 2¼ tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp sea salt
- 1½ tsp liquid stevia
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup low-fat organic buttermilk
- ¼ tsp red food colouring (or beet juice)
- Coconut cooking spray
- 3 oz goat or buffalo cream cheese
- ⅓ cup organic butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons orange-flavoured liqueur
- 3 tsp powdered stevia
- 12 whole strawberries (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place sliced strawberries in a food processor until smooth.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt, stirring with a whisk.
- Place stevia and ½ cup butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in egg whites.
- Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to butter mixture.
- Add pureed strawberries and food colouring; beat just until blended.
- Divide batter between 2 (8-inch) round cake pans coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until finished.
- Let cool for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool.
- Place cream cheese, butter, and liqueur in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until blended. Gradually add powdered stevia, and beat just until blended.
- Place 1 cake layer on a plate; spread with ½ cup frosting. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake.
- Cut strawberry into thin slices and place/fan strawberry on top and sides of cake just before serving.