Pecan & Pear Stuffed Squash
Author: Flavia Del Monte
- 1 acorn squash, halved
- 1⁄2 pear, diced
- 1 tablespoon currants
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 cup pecan halves
- 1⁄4 -1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 cup cheese of choice (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F.
- Place both halves of the acorn squash in a shallow baking dish.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, toss all other ingredients (except the optional cheese) until mixed well.
- Divide the mixture into two equal parts and scoop into the squash halves.
- Brush a small amount of the oil that is left behind in the mixing bowl over the edges of the squash to prevent burning and to help keep the edges from drying out.
- Place the dish in a pre-heated oven for 1 hour, covering with foil for the last 20 minutes to prevent burning.
- Remove foil in the last five minutes of cooking and add the cheese (optional) to the tops of the pecan and pear mixtures.
- Cook for an additional 5 minutes to brown the tops of the pecan/ pear mixture or until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from oven. Prior to serving, scoop the pecan and pear mixture out of the squash along with the squash flesh and place into a large bowl. Mix well (See serving tip above).
Calories: 251 Fat: 19g Carbohydrates: 23g Protein: 2g